Mistakenly torn down in the 1930's, it has long been the desire of museum leaders to reconstruct the lost Print Shop that was constructed in 1823-24 by a young William Woodruff, which would eventually house the Arkansas Gazette, the longest running newspaper west of the Mississippi River until 1991 when it merged with its fierce competitor, the Arkansas Democrat.
The project required intense research and study of 1820's construction and exhibits hand made brick, period hardware, hand mixed paint--even "wavy" glass in the operable, single-hung windows. The flooring, doors, windows, shutters and mantle pieces were made from reclaimed long leaf yellow pine. Modern electrical and hvac systems have been concealed from view to the casual observer.
Historic Arkansas Museum,
Little Rock, AR